Day 1(PTBR begins)
Day 1(end)
We arrived at Heritage University at 10 am and started with a quick roll call of who was here. We signed some paperwork, did a survey on our basic knowledge of environmental science and microbiology along with why this field interests us.
After that we went began to do our inventory for the trip, which went pretty well we had extra gear that came in handy later. we were all set to go until we found out one of our cars had battery issues (car b), so we got delayed a little. I used the time to read a little and enjoy the sun.
When car b finally arrived, we divvied up the luggage between the two cars and were ready to hit the road when we realized one of car b's doors didn't work (literally fell of the hinge). Got that reported in and then hit the road.
The drive was 3 hours long, I road in Juan's car (car a) and I listen to music while playing Pokémon on my ds. Along the drive we saw lots of smoke and a big fire along the way, and hearing from friends at home I hear Toppenish has no electricity as of right now. we took two pit stops one bathroom break in Hatton and then stopped at a nearby McDonalds for a 15-minute food break. With only an hour and half of the drive left we buckled our belts and hit the road.
We arrived at Wellpinit and it was really nice and peaceful. We arrived about 15-20 minutes before Dr. Jessica Black and so I took a few minutes to check out the place. I saw so many prairie dogs running around, they were so cute. My first target was finding a nice place to sit and charge my phone and also do my blogs, and bench secured.
When Dr. Black arrived, we began to set up camp. Making the tent was super easy I love camping so its second nature at this point, but I just had a feeling I had too easy. I began inflating my air mattress which were not easy, you have to manually inflate them😭. When I finally had it done, I realized one of the valves didn't seal and it was leaking air 😭. So, I had to deflate it, roll it up, stuff it back in its bag, and then inflate a whole new one that did work.
By the time I had finished setting up my area camp was already set. At this point we all began getting ready for dinner. I worked on a salad, Monette cooked burgers, and Judy chopped the condiments for the burgers. Along with that we had chips, potato salad and fruit punch drink. We did some bonding and introduced ourselves to each other along with some of our personal interests.
After day 1 I feel like excited for the rest of the trip. It's so peaceful and quiet I love the outdoors and it feels a little crazy that this cool opportunity is also a class.
Comments
Post a Comment